Thursday 20 March 2014

Voluntary work and making a difference

 
 

This week I received my UCC Works award for all my volunteer work in the first semester. To give a brief summary here is what I accomplished:

 
Over 40 hours of volunteering with children in.........

 
SUAS paired reading: Sunday's Well National School

SUAS accle-read/accle-write: Sunday's Well National School

SVP Homework Club: Greenmount Primary School

Plan Ireland Sponsored a child: girl aged 4 from El Salvador

SVP giving tree: girl aged 7
 

For anyone who may be considering to doing voluntary work. I can ensure you it is a worthwhile and rewarding opportunity. Not only do you feel better about yourself. But you are also contributing to helping someone else have a better chance at life. Over the months I got to know the kids really well. I listened to 12 year old girls tell me how their best friend stole their boyfriend and then 2 weeks later how she managed to win him back. I tried hard to hold back the tears with laughter. I also meet some truly amazing talented kids from all over Europe. One girl in particular comes to mind. She can speak 6 languages and use to complain to me how she couldn’t grasp Irish. I use to tell her not to worry she was not alone. Majority of Irish people can only speak English. I taught a boy to improve his literacy skills and also learned about how he taught GAA was God’s gift. The Giving tree was an amazing experience to be able to go to Smyth’s toy store and pretend you were 7 again. Overall there is one thing I learned from this experience “No matter how small you too can make a difference”.
 
 
 
 
 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment