Thursday 27 March 2014

Rose of Tralee: being a spring flower bud

After meeting last years Cork Rose, I got a sense of inspiration to put in an application and run for Cork Rose. A few weeks later I got my email and so my journey began.........

A Rose reflects the intelligence, compassion and independence of modern Irish women.

 

I think every little girl grew up watching the Rose of Tralee, waiting, dreaming of that day of being crowned the Rose and getting to wear a sash and crown. While the orchestra played the beloved rose of Tralee anthem. But what I really love about the whole contest is the after effect. Knowing you will get an opportunity to work with so many charities and help others in need while sharing your culture.
This year the current rose got to go to Belarus to an orphanage. Amongst the glitz and glam of the event it is nice to remember, that you will also get an opportunity to give back to people in need. Recently, I attended the SVP AGM and became the leader of COPE next year. College for me is not only for enjoyment of socializing, but also an opportunity to give back to people who need you. You never know when you will need help in the future and I would hope someone will be there for you too.
At Christmas, I sponsored a little 4year old girl from El Salvador to attend school. Not only did I love receiving letters in Spanish with drawings from her, but I also got to share my heritage while learning about hers. Over the year in college, I have meet amazing people who dedicate their lives to help others and it is inspiring. Next year I am hoping to run a marathon for charity and volunteer to go to Bali to teach in a primary school for a few weeks.
From a favourite quote of mine:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment